Thursday 5 January 2012

The Back Story

Welcome to the  £10,000 Challenge.

I lost my Dad to Myeloma, a cancer of the blood, in Jan 2011 just weeks before his 56th birthday. He had only been diagnosed 4 months prior to this and had every fighting chance going for him to beat the cancer. Sadly during treatment he caught the flu, at the worst time he could have caught it and couldn't fight it. In those 4 days he had the flu, I have never seen anyone try harder to fight anything, he could have given up on day one but he didn't and it make me so incredibly sad, for him, that it got the better of him.  This fighting spirit has inspired me.

Throughout my Dads life he did a lot for charity in one way or another, sponsoring people, getting involved in events, even dressing up as a fairy (my Dad was 6ft 4" and of a rather large build) with charity buckets....losing Dad will have left a whole in these charities pockets and I want to ensure I pick up from where he left off and make sure this gap is not felt.

I want this to be a positive outlet for my grief and something I can use when facing sad and hard days, if I can distract myself for an hour or two organising or planning something when feeling blue, it can only be a good thing.  I have plenty of ideas brewing and been inspired by previous events my Dad has been part of and even my Granddad, ideas and events I never even knew they had done until going through my Dads belongings. To find out more about these, watch this space!

If anyone else is inspired to join and wants to do some fundraising, feel free to add get in touch on phillippacheshire@yahoo.co.uk and see if it is something we can do together/if you have an idea you want to share.

I hope to make a scrap book for this, so any stories people have on charity events Dad took part in, please please let me know, I’d love to add them!

xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment